Where did Amerigo Vespucci explore in 1499?
In 1499 Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian merchant living in Sevilla (Seville), together with the Spanish explorer Alonso de Ojeda, explored the north coast of South America from Suriname to the Golfo de Venezuela.
What did Amerigo Vespucci call the Western Hemisphere?
It was, in fact, a continent previously unknown to most Europeans. Eventually the continents of the western hemisphere became known as North and South America – named after Amerigo Vespucci. Lynn Hoogenboom, Amerigo Vespucci: A Primary Source Biography (New York: The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc., 2006), 8.
What did Vespucci write to Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de Medici?
Vespucci wrote a detailed letter to his friend Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de Medici describing his trip, the natives, and geography of the places he had visited. He also first describes a very large river that we today know as the Amazon River. One tribe he encountered were nude men and women who were cannibals.
Where is the statue of Amerigo Vespucci located?
A statue of Amerigo Vespucci stands in his native city of Florence. It is uncertain whether Vespucci took part in yet another expedition (1503–04) for the Portuguese government (it is said that he may have been with one under Gonzalo Coelho).
What is the speed of the Amerigo Vespucci?
She has a draught of about 7 m (23 ft) and a displacement at full load of 4146 tons. Under auxiliary diesel-electric propulsion the Amerigo Vespucci can reach 10 knots (19 km/h) and has a range of 5450 nm at 6.5 knots. The Amerigo Vespucci in the harbor of Oslo, 2005.
Where is the location of the SW Vespucci?
The current position of SW VESPUCCI is at Indian Coast (coordinates 15.97631 N / 82.24628 E) reported 4 days ago by AIS. The vessel SW VESPUCCI (IMO: 9452971, MMSI 209128000) is a Research Vessel built in 2010 (11 years old) and currently sailing under the flag of Cyprus . SW VESPUCCI current position and history of port calls are received by AIS.
When was the Amerigo Vespucci given to the USSR?
After World War II, this ship was handed over to the USSR as part of the war reparations and was shortly afterwards decommissioned. The second ship was the Amerigo Vespucci, built in 1930 at the (formerly Royal) Naval Shipyard of Castellammare di Stabia ( Naples ).