How big do olive millipedes get?
A great display species and one that is easy to propagate….Olive Banded Millipede. Spirostreptus sp. 1.
|Adult Size||Up to 15cm|
How long do olive millipedes live?
In general, giant millipedes have a life expectancy of about 7–10 years.
Are millipedes good pets?
If you’ve never cared for an arthropod pet before, a millipede is a good first choice. They’re fairly low maintenance pets and can be handled even by young children, with supervision, of course. Many pet stores sell African giant millipedes, which grow to 10 inches or more in length.
Which is the biggest millipede in the world?
giant African millipede
The giant African millipede (Archispirostreptus gigas), which is native to subtropical Africa, is the largest extant species, achieving lengths up to 280 mm (11 inches).
What is a bumblebee millipede?
Anadenobolus monilicornis, known as the yellow-banded millipede or bumble bee millipede, is a species of millipede in the family Rhinocricidae. It is native to the Caribbean but has been introduced to the southeastern United States.
How do you take care of a bumblebee millipede?
Millipedes will drink – some people provide them with a small water bowl, but misting, providing a moist substrate, and providing fresh food will keep them hydrated. Critter keepers and the like can dry out quickly, but do look a bit nicer than plastic shoe boxes.
What do you feed pet millipedes?
In captivity, they can be fed a variety of vegetables and fruits, cut into small pieces. Softer vegetables and fruits are best; try leaf lettuce, cucumber (reported to be a favorite food of millipedes), tomatoes, melon, peaches, and bananas.
Is it safe to hold a millipede?
Millipedes are not poisonous, but many species have glands capable of producing irritating fluids that may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. It is not advisable to handle millipedes with your bare hands. Persons handling millipedes may also notice a lingering odor on their hands.
Can a millipede bite?
Unlike centipedes, millipedes do not bite or sting. The toxin that millipedes release keeps away most predators. Some large millipede species can spray these toxins as far as 32 inches (80 cm). Contact with these secretions may cause allergic reactions in some people.