What is the purpose of the Civil War Trust program?
The Civil War Trust helped acquire and preserve 6,700 acres (27 km2) of land in the eight years of its existence and conducted education and heritage tourism programs to educate the public about the significance of the war and of battlefield preservation.
How soon after the Battle of Gettysburg did the battlefield began to be preserved?
In August 1863, just weeks after the battle of Gettysburg, the first efforts to preserve that battlefield began when local attorney David McConaughy began purchasing acres of battlefield land that included the heights of East Cemetery Hill and Little Round Top.
When was American battlefield trust created?
American Battlefield Trust/Founded
When was the American Civil War Trust founded?
In 1999, the Association for the Preservation of Civil War Sites (founded in 1987) and the Civil War Trust (founded in 1991 as the American Battlefield Preservation Foundation) merged to become the Civil War Preservation Trust, which grew to become the most successful private heritage land protection organization in American history.
Who is responsible for the preservation of the Civil War?
The primary source of federal support for the preservation of Civil War battlefields is the Civil War Battlefield Protection Program (CWBPP), administered by the American Battlefield Protection Program (ABPP), an office of the National Park Service.
Who was the first director of the Civil War Trust?
Wilson Greene was the organization’s first director. APCWS acquired thousands of acres of battlefield land as well as offering educational tours and seminars with prominent historians. A second non-profit battlefield land organization, the original Civil War Trust, was created in 1991.
How many acres has the American Battlefield Trust saved?
The American Battlefield Trust and our members have saved more than 52,000 acres in 24 states! Show your pride in battlefield preservation by shopping in our store. Every purchase supports the mission. Give with Confidence! The Majority of our funds go directly to Preservation and Education.